- Morgan's Kitchen OPEN on Sundays (June - August) 2-4 pm - FREE...
- St. Francis Elementary 4th Grade Field Trip on May 20- They took a History field trip of the C&O Depot, St. Albans Historical Society museum, a drive down historic Main St., a tour of Teays Hill Cemetery and it's Indian Mound and Morgan's Kitchen.
RECENT DONATIONS -School Bell from a classroom from Fairview Elementary; 10 ledger books from Sattes Grist Mill at Lower Falls from 1860's to 1900; old photos from Central Grade School; Borden Burger drinking glasses; "1938 St. Albans" book; 6 St. Albans High School Yearbooks (1930's and 40's).
SEPTEMBER MEETING-The next meeting of the St. Albans Historical Society will be on Sunday, Septermber 13 at 2 pm. More later.
APRIL MEETING-The Coal River Group invited the Historical Society to come to their nice facility at Tornado for a program about Coal River and its revitilazation. Bill Currey spoke.
School History Project:
The St. Albans Historical Society just finished teaching local history to the 4th grade class at St. Francis Elementary. Thanks to Margaret Bassitt, Neil Richardson and Ellen Pauley for volunteering. They met there every Thursday at 1:30 pm for 30 minutes of instruction.
Margaret Bassitt died March 30 and she was able to teach this class up into January...when she became ill. She loved doing this project and many children have been touched by her influence over the years....especially the past 3 years doing this project at Alban, Weimer and St. Francis.
12th Annual Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival
The Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival, sponsored by the St. Albans Historical Society, will be held Saturday, October 10, 2015 at Morgan's Kitchen Museum alongMacCorkle Ave. Activities include apple butter making, cabin tours, arts & crafts, displays, Civil War and Pioneer re-enactors and old time music and food .............
Newsletters Cataloged - We have cataloged and indexed all of our
Newslettersfrom 1992 to present and placed the in a notebook. So...if you are
looking for a certain history topic, you can now view this notebook for your
topic and make a copy at the Society Building.
(this will download newsletter list to your computer)
Coalsmouth Journals Cataloged - We have also recently cataloged the Coalsmouth Journals (1972 -1985). These were our first Newsletters of the Historical Society and they contain may fine and historical articles.
New Book - We have re-printed a 1932 book about the Civil War "Battle of Scary" Creek and it is available at the The Village Sampler. THIS NOW MAKES A TOTAL OF 13 BOOKS the St, Albans Historical society has for sale...and one DVD !! See: Books for Sale
Rosedale Torn Down:
The oldest house in St. Albans was
leveled on January 29, 2015,
after being severely burnt in a December 2013 fire. Built around 1818, it was located
on the old James River & Kanawha Turnpike, now Kanawha Terrace. Early
settler to Coalsmouth, Morris Hudson, purchased this land from George
Washington’s niece, Elizabeth Spotswood, who had acquired it from her great
uncle George Washington. Hudson’s
son Samuel Hudson built this house around 1818. It was originally where the St. AlbansHigh School now stands and it was moved
across the street in 1954 when the school was built.
The house had been an apartment
for many years and only a few years ago was made into a single family dwelling.
It was for sale and vacant when it burnt, causing much damage to the roof. The Historical Society did retrieve a ceiling joist that had hand cut mortise
and tenon joints and wooden pins, as well as several hand cut nails used in the
clapboard siding. The joist was cut with a whipsaw, which is obvious from it’s
up and down saw marks. These saws were hand operated sawmills that existed in
this area at this time and were used before circular saws, which came to this
area around the mid 1800’s. Richardson stated that the next oldest house in
town is the Turner House on B Street which was built in 1832, and Ravenswood,
built in 1833
(Above) Rosedale house being moved around 1951...
when construction started on the High School
- "1938 St. Albans " book
- 6 St. Albans High School Year Books (1930's) (Margaret Bassitt estate)
- Fairview classroom bell
- 10 Stattes (Lower Falls) Mill ledger books and a weight (1860's to 1900)
- 6 Borden burger drinking glasses (where was this located?)
- Central School photos form 1950's (Steve Sidebottom)
- Papers and letter from John Cummingham (Delmar Lacy)
- Lectern with a speaker system (Zion Hill Church)
- Model of Chuck Yeagar's jet and various items about the Yeager Monument.
- Various maps from 1940-1950 of St. Albans. (Anne McElhinny
- Homemade dolls from the 1950’s (Marion Moir)
- Music Appreciation Club Minutes & Notebooks (1970-1990) - club
- Vintage animal traps and canning lids for Morgan’s Kitchen (Bo McClure)
- CoalRiver and Western R,R. spike & piece of tie (Steve Sidebottom)
- Panorama view of Ferrell Gas Co. (James Holton)
- Large wall photo of downtown from Coal River Insurance (City of St. Albans)
- 1940 St. Albans Band Photo (Kristi Sutphin)
St. Albans Historical Society - 2015 Meeting Dates
All meetings are at the Wm.P.BurdetteMemorialBuilding at 404, 4th Ave.
(Regular meetings are on 2ndSundays unless otherwise stated)
August 1, 2015 - Historical Bldg. Open House, Saturday,
September 13, 2015 - Regular Meeting
October 10, 2015 - Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival
October 17,18 & 24,25, 2015 - Fall Train Open House at Bldg.()
November 8, 2015 - Regular Meeting
December 5, 2015 - Christmas Historic Homes Tour, Saturday,