St. Albans Historical Society
St. Albans, West Virginia

Welcome !!

   

Morgan's Plantation Kitchen Museum (ca. 1846) 

 


morgans kitchen picnic

Morgan's Kitchen Historical Society Picnic June 2014

 

The St. Albans Historical Society will have historic Morgan's Kitchen in St. Albans open this summer every Sunday from 2-4 pm. Built in 1846, it is full of vintage cooking ware from the 19th century. Located along MacCorkle Ave. across from Parkway Flea Market. No charge.


Morgan's Festival 2013

Morgan's Kitchen Fall Festival 2013


11th Annual Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival

  The Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival, sponsored by the St. Albans Historical Society, will be held Saturday, October 11, 2014 at Morgan’s Kitchen along MacCorkle Ave.  Activities included apple butter making, cabin tours, and displays, pioneer and Civil War re-enactors,  hit/miss engines, and old time music.............   

 

Sponsored by the St. Albans Historical Society

Some 2013 Fall Festival Photos    

       

Thomas Cottrill

      

Joe Dobbs and Friend  

Morgan's Kitchen Fall Festival 2013

Marvin Smith - woodwright

 


 MorganKitchenSketch

Morgan’s Kitchen History:    

       Located on MacCorkle Ave. across from Parkway Terrace, Morgan’s Kitchen is typical of log structures used during its period. It was originally located at Morgan’s Plantation near the present John Amos Electric Power Plant in nearby Putnam County.  It was used to serve meals as well as serving as a hospital to the wounded Union soldiers during the Civil War at the battle of Scary Creek nearby. This log kitchen was built separate from the home in the pioneer days for several reasons. One, it had to have a continually burning fire to cook the meals, and by separating the kitchen, the house didn’t get too hot in the summertime. Another reason, if the kitchen did catch on fire, the main house perhaps would not be lost also.

         Morgan’s Kitchen was built in 1846 by John Morgan Jr., who at the same time, built his first home, also log. Later he built a 2-story frame home. John purchased his land from George Washington’s physician, James Craik. The Morgans were farmers and no doubt had to clear the land before building on it. The evidence of the virgin timber size can be seen in the logs in Morgan’s Kitchen. John Morgan Jr.’s youngest son, Albert Sidney (Sid) Morgan, loved hunting, taxidermy and traveling. He established Morgan’s Museum which originally was located on Morgan’s farm and is now located at the State Farm Museum at Mason County Fairgrounds.                                                                

        The kitchen was donated to St. Albansby Sid Morgan and moved to this site in 1972. It was mainly the idea of Hal Turley of St. Albansto save it from destruction due to the construction of the new John Amos power plant. The St. Albans Historical Society was formed that year by Mr. Turley to maintain the cabin. It was partially disassembled and moved by several volunteers on a flat bed trailer. The cedar roof shingles, porch and chimney are not original and had to be replaced. The kitchen is furnished with period cookware and utensils from that period, much from the original kitchen, as well as rustic tables, a storage chest and bed. The evidence of the hundred years of cooking is shown by the black char on the ceiling timbers. The kitchen also has a loft, which no doubt may have been used to store food supplies.  Perhaps even the cook’s children may have slept or played in the loft. Morgan’s Kitchen today is owned by the City of St. Albansand is maintained by the St. Albans Historical Society.  An Open House is conducted every Sunday during the summer from Memorial Day through Labor Day by the society from 2-4 pm.


Morgan_Kitchen_Sign Morgan_Kitchen

morgans kitchen inside

 

 

 

 

Original Table inside cabin


 

 

 

 

Some of the vintage farm

impliments inside the cabin